Before we left for Russia we were encouraged by a friend to get Leah on the waiting list for the pre-K program offered by our local school district. She would likely qualify because of her lack of English. The waiting list is usually very, very long but we were told that we hit a sweet spot and were notified when we were in Russia that there was an opening!
At first Brian and I wondered if we'd be rushing her, but Leah quickly showed us when we returned home that she was ready. Yes, there is a lot of new stuff for her, and for Hope, but rather than needing to be tucked away at home and her activities restricted, Leah really needs to do things that 4 year olds do! That means leaving the house to play at the park, and in this case, taking advantage of a pre-K opening!
Last week we ran around doing enrollment and some orientation stuff and tried to make Leah excited and Hope not too left out!
Today was the big day and Leah seems to have done wonderfully! Hope was none too happy (when we say, "Leah's school" she corrects us to say, "Hope's school" but then we went and did something special just the two of us during our 3-hour pre-K session!
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

10 comments:
Glad she did well!!
How exciting! What a thrilling day. I hope it wasn't too hard on Mama!
Love,
Julie
Yeah for Leah!
I'm sure it was difficult to leave her. Hang in there. =)
She did AWESOME from what I observed and heard! Yeah for Leah!
I always cry on the first day of school, but then I get over it. It looks like she's proud of herself and happy. You guys were so wise to follow her lead and recognize her need to go do 4-year-old things!
Bless their hearts! What a great post! LUL!
Wow! Looks like you guys are doing great. Just think, 6 months ago did you ever imagine that your oldest child would be going to school just 1 month after being home... I'm so happy for all of you. I know it's hard for Hope now but she'll come to love her "Mommy time". The Milne's
Leah will love it! And Hope gets to spend more time 1-on-1 with mama! Have fun watching them flourish!
Love,
Hanne
I like how Hope definitely recognizes her name, and comprehends that there is a difference in her activity vs. her sister's activity.
I have a friend who brought home a boy who turned 4 after 2 months home. To teach english they were very repetetive with picture books and having him repeat the words they were saying, counting etc. Of course preschool will be a great help.
When my oldest went to preschool for the first time that was the hardest moment for me. I cried. When she went to Kindergarten and 1st grade, it was no problem! There is something about letting them go for the first time...
How exciting for you all!
Love the pictures of the journey!
Becky
Post a Comment