Sunday, August 15, 2010

One more night

I've been thinking that all day and now I can't get the old song that says, "One more night..." out of my head. Except that song, I think, says please give me one more night and we say no way!

This is supposed to, pray God, be our last night here in this city. Our agency will start calling the passport office at 9 a.m. tomorrow to see when their Russian passports are done. When they are done we pick them up and go to Moscow. One more step closer to home! How odd that Moscow seems closer to home; I never thought that would be the case!

Once in Moscow we'll have appointments at the US Embassy there to deal with the girls' visas and other business required to get them into the US. We have a flight booked on Sunday the 22nd because that was the earliest we could get all together when we guesstimated departure dates at home so long ago - we had to book tickets over the weekend with no guidance from our agency and ticket prices were jumping hundreds of dollars every couple of minutes. So, we picked the 22nd because we could all be seated together, generally (the plane is 2 seats, aisle, three seats, aisle, 2 seats, and we booked a three-seat section with an aisle seat directly across the aisle). If we finish by mid-week or Thursday we'll see if there's any chance of leaving early, but I doubt it. We're also hoping we're not stuck in the hotel the whole time in Moscow due to the smoke. But, I'm not complaining - just leaving this hotel and this city for different surroundings will be HUGE for all of us.

Everyone's napping now but me. When they get up I'll have Bri load the girls in the stroller for a walk and I'll pack us up - there's no way I can do it with them in our tiny room! Just no room for all of us and suitcases out! I'm actually not sure where we're going to put the full suitcases! They might have to get staged in the hallway of the hotel so we still have room to move around!

We're not sure what our Internet access will be like in Moscow; last time it was a bit challenging in the room but we hope it's better this time. If I'm quiet it's because I can't post!

Thanks for "listening" to me whine these last few weeks. We're ready to have them be behind us as we move on.

5 comments:

Beth said...

Fingers crossed you and your girls get home SOON!! Hope you get to go out and enjoy Moscow!

Beth

Shelly and Steve said...

Hey we'll be running thru the airport in Moscow on the 22nd!!! The way our flights worked out we only have about 1 hr 45 min layover and are praying we can make our flight to Vlad. If not, we'll have to spend the night in the airport. That would have been so great if we could bump into each other.

You're doing great. I can't believe how long this trip has had to be for you. Do you have to do register with the Russian Consulate in Moscow or can you do that at home? I guess our agency makes us do it there so its an extra day.

Uncle Kirk said...

Well, in your situation right now, I think whining is definitely and option that is approved of.

Talked to your Dad (well, wrote actually) and hope that we will be able to get down to see your Mom and Dad sometime in late September and hopefully you, Brian and the girls as well. I figure you're going to be inundated with folks wanting to see your new family and want to give you and the girls some time to get acclimated before we drop in.

And you can keep whining as much as you want :-)

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you & looking forward to having you home! :o) Hang in there!!! Almost done!

Sarah & Grady

Anonymous said...

You're doing great Holly - there is light at the end of the tunnela nd you are almost there! Keep on chuggin' :)
Sarah G