Friday, August 13, 2010

Things we're beginning to think will never happen again

1. That I'll blow dry my hair. Let's just put it this way. Today I shaved my legs standing like a flamingo in the bathroom while the girls were napping, one leg in the sink at a time. Drying my hair? I don't think so.

2. That we'll drive in any kind of vehicle, let alone drive any kind of vehicle. We've not been in a moving vehicle for more than two weeks now. I wish I'd brought my pedometer because I'm sure we've logged miles and miles and miles and miles.

3. Wash clothes in a machine, not a bathroom sink with odd-smelling Russian laundry detergent.

4. Have something different for breakfast. The hotel offering is the exact same every day, but with one occasional change on Sundays...and I mean a small, small change.

5. Not all sleep in one tiny room like Charlie's family in Willy Wonka.

6. Understand people around us. I'm so tired of not knowing what people are saying to my children. A woman at the park today had her dog there and said something to Leah. Was it, "My dog is nice."? Was it, "Don't come near my dog."? Was it "You look like you have really stupid parents and I feel really sorry for you."?

7. Watch American television. I don't care what's on in the background. Seriously. I'll take Springer. Dr. Phil. Old reruns of Three's Company.

One weekend. We can do it. I think. I guess we have no choice. We think we're leaving Monday for Moscow but we haven't heard anything definitive from our agency. All we know is that the hotel told us when we checked in that we had a room through Aug. 16 and our consultant in St. Louis told us that we had a room in Moscow beginning on the 16th. I'd really like to know when we leave Monday so we can figure out packing. There's no way we can do it with the girls in the room; there simply isn't space. Brian will need to take them in the stroller for a walk or to the tiny playground near the hotel while I get us packed up.

Wish us luck in getting though the weekend. We're all horribly bored. I know routine is good for kids, but monotony and boredom not so much. At least tomorrow I can say tomorrow is our last day.

10 comments:

Nancy said...

You can do it! At least you haven't lost your sense of humor! :)

Tracey and Chuck said...

Here's hoping for 1 more day and then OFF to Moscow!!!

Uncle Kirk said...

I know how you feel, at least about being in a country where you don't understand the language, alphabet and customs. I remember going to Japan a couple of times and just couldn't wait to get CNN International on TV so I could hear somebody speaking English!

Hang in there. In the end it will all be worth it and you'll look back on these days as the time your family really came together.

Alison said...

LOL!!! Seriously?!? Charlie's family from Willy Wonka?!? :)

Anonymous said...

I busted out laughing when I read the 1st paragraph....you are not alone because we all have those make-shift things we do just to get by!
1 more week and it will be home sweet home.
Love,
Hanne's

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Holly! You're doing great!
Sarah G

Susan said...

I'm laughing over the TV comment. When we were in Moscow staying at our apartment we only had one English channel and it was Animal Planet, but for some reason they only showed the graphic gory, lions eating gazzels type shows the entire time. By day 3 I told Randy that I could no longer eat breakfast and watch another alligator eat a water buffalo, I'd rather watch Russian soap operas.
Hang in there, you're almost to Moscow!

Gloria said...

Hang in there......the end is in sight!

MJTG said...

I remember hearing the hotel clerk in Moscow speaking really nice english and almost getting choked up.....then stepping off the plane and hearing American english...the alleluia chorus rang in my head!!

You are all doing great!! Only worry if your sense of humor starts to get lost....are you planning a 'bon voyage to the hotel' party??? Sounds like it would be fun!!

Shelly and Steve said...

I just love your descriptions!! Too funny....what can you do but laugh at some of this stuff right? The detergent DOES smell funny huh?? LOTS of things smelled funny to me, and being sick didn't help at all. At least I get to be sick in my own toilet for a bit, LOL.

Its a shame our pathes couldn't have crossed in Moscow. I hope I hope I hope nothing holds you up and you can get those ADORABLE girls HOME.