Tuesday, July 20, 2010
Packing: too much vs. too little
Here is another interactive post! I have a feeling that I could easily overpack clothing for the girls. There's just so much stinkin' cute stuff! So, those with kids (especially those in the 3-ish age range), if you were going to be packing, how much would you take for one child? I will be taking some laundry detergent to be using the hotel sink if need be. Would you take 2 outfits per day for a child this age, or is that too much? Should I just do one outfit per girl per day and then wash stuff as needed? Many pieces can be mixed and matched. Input welcome for this newbie!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
It depends on you. For space sake I'd think 1 outfit a day plus an a couple extra for really bad spills, etc is fine for your situation. But they will spill and potentially get dirty so you then have to be ok with that. If you won't be then 2 outfits a day. Not truly knowing the potty situation I'd maybe take a couple extra underwear. If you have tennis shoes for them take extra socks than you think you'll need. Even in a hotel the sock monster will get them. Hope this helps. Alana
Holly,
I know I am a newbie too....but, I usually only go through one outfit a day and if they are a little dirty, I have gotten over it and let him be dirty! The only reason I usually would change is for a diaper accident or something like that. In the beginning, I used to change alot more but once the wash starts piling up, I have learned that I little dirt doesn't hurt anybody!! And good thing that it is summer so the clothes you will have to bring will be much lighter than if you packing snow suits and things like that. We just wanted to you and Brian to know how excited we are for the both of you and sooooo happy that you are finally bringing your girls home! Can't wait to see the pics of those 2 beauties!!! Good luck with packing.
For my three y.o., who is recently (and poorly) potty-trained, for a week we bring double the underwear, then one outfit per day plus two extra shirts, four extra pants. I also bring a pack of pullups for a week of travel.
1/per day is good since you do have their PJ (pants & shirt type) as backup if needed. As for shoes..wonder if they would wear flip-flops or crocks where no socks are required :)
Be sure to buy a couple of bibs that have the scoop on the bottom to catch falling particles/drips...they are a life-saver and it cost $5 @ wally world.
grace
ps. so glad i got to see you today.
For our upcoming vacation (I know, it's a little different) I'm packing about 1.5 outfits a day. So 10 outfits for 7 days, mixing and matching weights of clothes and of course, packing the cute stuff I just *need* people to see her in.
Building on what others have said - extra underwear won't go to waste and the sock monster will definitely visit your hotel room, so almost bring double the socks!
Remember you'll have lots of time at home to dress them in all the other a-freaking-dorable outfits!!
So excited for you Holly! I am packing for a week and plan on bringing one outfit a day plus a few extra outfits for emergencies. I would bring extra underwear in case of accidents. Have a great time and let them get dirty. You will have so much fun with them!
It was great to see you today. I can't wait for all of you to get home. Carolyn
I would pack extra shirts just in case of spills. How is the weather there this time of year. If it is warm lucky for you summer clothes are smaller then winter clothes. How about dresses that might save some space. Can not wait to see pictures of your 2 girls.
beth
Having read all the other comments, i agree with the volume of 1+ per day with extra undies/socks. Sundresses are very easy to pack. However, we brought ours home in early August, and they were having a cold spell in Tver/Moscow. it was in the 60's. So a fall jacket/hoodie is nice to have on hand. And the workers at our orphanage expected them to be wearing hats. (sunhats will do) Also if you do pullups - there will be fewer of them to bring home (& more returning suitcase space!)
In addition to the laundry detergent, I found some useful items at walmart in their travel/sample section in health/beauty. Downy wrinkle release -- it really works!! and Shout stain wipes. Mine were 1 & 2 coming home, now 3 & 4. I kept the 'nice' outfits at home.
Hope this helps. Good luck!!
I have nothing to add to the comments here, I agree one per day plus some extras to mix/match for emergency use. But I mainly wanted to post to tell you how stinking excited I am for you, and was so, so bummed to have missed lunch yesterday. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip soon!
Love,
Amy
Plan to do laundry! I'd take one for each day and a few to spare knowing I'll be doing laundry. Take extra panties and socks as you can't have enough of those. My oldest has to wear 2 pair of panties a day (one during the day and another at night) and has since she started wearing them. You can imagine the laundy we do just for her! Now, these are exciting problems for a neophyte parent! Enjoy your time with them as I know you will treasure each moment in your heart! :)
Becky
Potty trained? Even if they are, the change in food, coupled with all of the excitement made for frequent changes...it was horrible, and not confined to the diaper. I agree with mix and match simple basics. That way if you just need to change the bottoms, 1/2 the outfit is good.
Brought home a 3.5 yr old.
1 outfit per day per child for 3/4 of the trip. Plan on doing laundry. Plan on reusing clothes after more than 1 use.The cars, trains, planes in Russia can't handle big luggage and you'll need your hands for the girls.
Save one COMFY outfit (for everyone) for the plane ride home that you don't wear over there. After reusing the clothes and washing in the sink having a fresh outfit for the long flight home is a must....it won't be fresh by the time you arrive.
ditto on the extra underwear/pull ups. High pressure planes seem to double their output.
Post a Comment