Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Today's sponsor: Your very own big, fat failure

Some days I feel like everything I touch in regard to this adoption turns to absolute crap.

Today is one of those days.

We're back to battling for verification of our mortgage payments in the exact manner the Russian judge wants. Today found me begging in a local office of our mortgage bank, only to be turned away empty handed. I was essentially told the only people who could give me what I need are the main corporate offices, which possibly means getting the document notarized in another state which means I'll have to get an apostille from another state and then letters explaining the apostille procedure from that state as well as verification that the apostille came from that state - which likely means a number of days or weeks AFTER I get the verification from our mortgage holder, which could also take some time.

So, I sat in my car and cried and then put together all the documents I need to fax to the mortgage company...only to find that all circuits are busy and my fax will.not.go.through. (I've just tried again, hours later, and it still says all circuits are busy. Best-case scenario is that the fax eventually goes through and the legal department of our mortgage company agrees to the letter and instructs a local branch to print, sign and notarize. That's the ideal. Worst case is no letter or a letter signed or notarized in another state.)

I feel like a big, fat miserable failure and I'm not feeling at all hopeful at this point. I really fear documents we filed in November will expire in May and that we'll have to redo a huge batch of stuff. We haven't even gotten THIS batch to be acceptable to the judge and look how long it's taken. If our November stuff expires in May and we have to start all over I honestly think we're looking at 6 months or more.

I know that's worst-case scenario, but why do I have reason to think otherwise given the way things are going?

4 comments:

Wendi and Terry said...

Holly, you aren't alone. We've all had days like you had today. Hang in there honey, I promise tomorrow will be better.

Beth said...

My big hold up was my car loan papers so believe me I feel your pain!! I hope your morgage company has a heart and lets a local branch help you out!! Hang in there and I know this will all work out and the girls will be home with you!!

Anne & James said...

Keep your chin up. Remember how all of us were told we would have to jump through hoops, well here's another one.

Just remember how much your child means to you and remember it's all worth it. I totally know how you feel and we are updated our docs as well. Just think you are almost done with all the paperwork. You can do this :)

MJTG said...

Holly,
We had the same problem. I worked with the local branch to solve the problem. Our agency provided us with sample letters/documents. So I would make an electronic version of each document, with our personal information, then email to necessary party and ask them to print it directly to their letterhead. Along with the explanation for the need to do it this way. For the mortgage info, I first spoke with the person the branch manager told me to talk to, then I kept them both on (my)the same page with email. This worked for us - hope it helps you.
I would then go chase down/pick up the needed papers - so as to not put out anyone who was doing me a favor. The rest of our major documents mostly originated within the state - which also made it easier to handle.
And if you have the same judge - for us they rotated at the end of june.