Friday, December 25, 2009

The comforts of home

We finally made it home on Wednesday, Dec. 23, after spending three nights and two days in New York City. I've never been so relieved as when the plane FINALLY went airborn on Wednesday morning and we were officially on our way home. Those extra, unplanned-for days really exhuasted us. We made it home before noon that day and were able to bring our very-much-missed doggies home. I'd gotten up at about 3:15 a.m. Eastern and was bushed and went to bed about 8:30 Central and was out like a light. We did end up taking an NYC tour on Tuesday and it defnitely filled up the day - we did the UN, Rockefeller Center, the Empre State Building, the Statue of Liberty and a quick viewing of Ground Zero.

The laundry is done and I actually got to do some holiday baking; it was nice to relax a bit and just be and do normal things. Today we're headed to my parents house for food, games and talk of the girls; my parents haven't seen all of our pictures yet and we have some video to show them so I'm sure we'll have lots of fun (and a few tears) showing them all of that. Souvenirs have been unpacked and the mail has been opened, sorted and filed. I've got a file started for the adoption paperwork I need to start on - but that can wait until Monday.

While we're so glad to be home it feels empty somehow; even though they've never been here, the house misses the girls. Since we know them now we can actually picture THEM here.

Merry Christmas greetings to those who celebrate it; peace and blessings to those who have other holidays they recognize. Your support has been so significant to us.

3 comments:

Bill and Myra said...

I just happened to find your blog and have followed it; it is wonderful to read. My husband and I adopted our son from Tver (at the age of 9) in November 2006 and another boy from Vladivostok in July 2008.

I love hearing about Tver. I even showed my oldest pictures from Tver on your blog (he is 12 now).

I have a private blog. It doesn't include much about Tver since we didn't start it until we adopted our 2nd child. Email me at toeppe@gmail.com if you want an invite.

Best wishes on your adoption journey!

Myra

Unknown said...

We are so glad you made it home, Holly! Cannot wait to see these girls. Merry Christmas.

Tiff said...

Holly! Merry Christmas to you and Brian! We've continued to think of you and pray for you to be able to bring the girls home soon! LUL!