Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Three years

It's April 2009 now, and that means that it's been three years since Brian and I tried to start a family.

I'm trying really hard not to be negative Nelly, really I am, but I feel as though I'm failing miserably. There's just some tough stuff going on in a couple aspects of my life and this turning of the calendar page is like a smack in the face and an ache in the heart.

I know, logically, that we're three years closer than we were, even if we didn't know we'd have a multiple-year journey ahead of us. I know, logically, that I've grown stronger, Brian's grown stronger, we've grown stronger as a couple. I know, logically, that I've made friends through this process who I never would have met before and they are women who I admire and are so proud to know.

But.

In the last three years, we've also seen families around us start. We've undergone fertility treatments and financial hardships because of our decisions. We've seen families around us grow. We've moved on to adoption and have more financial hardships, less time together because of extra jobs.

See, I told you I was failing miserably in not being a negative Nelly.

Brian and I have always made it a point to enjoy being where we are. When we were dating, we really didn't worry to much about what was next, because I think we knew what was next and that we'd get there. When we got there, we truly enjoyed being engaged and the wedding process and didn't look too far ahead.

My problem know is that we've been in kind of the same place for the last three years now. When we started trying to have a family in April of 2006, if you had asked, I would have said by April 2009 we'd have a toddler and a couple of years of parenting under our belts. I told Brian today that I'm actually beginning to have trouble imagining us as parents...those daydreams are fuzzy, the images that used to keep me going are harder to form. Maybe it's because it's been three years or maybe it is my psyche trying to protect myself. I'm not sure.

So, I apologize for the post, but I really needed to get some words and thoughts out of me and this is the only place where I thought I could put them (besides, of course, talking to Brian, who remains the most positive, stable force in my life and I am so thankful every second that he's willing to go through this journey with a far less emotionally stable me!). I know the likely comments in response will be, "It will happen when the time is right," or "Keep the faith...it will happen," or "It's tough." I know that part of me believes that is all true, but another part of me is starting to get really frightened that for me, for us, maybe it's not.

5 comments:

Alison said...

I hated when people told me "it will come"!! It is SO difficult to be patient and positive sometimes when you feel like you are falling apart inside.
I totally know where you are and you know where to find me if you need a good vent!!

Uncle Kirk said...

Blogs are not only meant to keep folks appraised about whatever situation you are in, but also to vent frustrations and bitch when it becomes necessary to help clear the air. The friends you've made here via this blog have been through what you're going through and understand where you're coming from. Me? I'm just the long lost uncle that can somewhat understand your frustrations and can only hope that the "dam" will break soon and then you and Brian will be much to busy to remember the down days you're going through now.

Unknown said...

Now here's a story for you.

Once upon a time there were these things called CDs that played music. I decided to join a club that gave you 10 of them for just one penny.

A week passed. Then another week. A very dear friend of mine told me to be patient.

"But every day that passes is another day in my life I don't have my CDs!" I cried.

"You are so cynical!" she scolded me. "Just think about how excited you will be when you get them in the mail. If it's worth having, it's worth waiting for."

That friend was you, Holly Shriner (and yes I fully realize how ridiculous it is to compare a child to a pile of CDs).

Uh, where was I going with this? I am just trying to make you laugh I guess. Honestly, I truly feel your frustration and I wish there was something I could do to help.

So here's my advice: Listen to Brian and lean on him. His personality is perfect for yours, and you should take advantage of that. And I will say a little prayer for you guys ... great days are ahead for you, Holly!

Kim said...

I understand and am praying for us all.

McMary said...

I am now waiting on a referral from Russia--my second adoption attempt. It is have been 2 1/2 years since I started and I thought I would be a parent by now also--It is so hard. Jsometimes I feel my dream slipping away also but I just know that I can't give up. I will be praying for all of us waiting.