Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Whew! Our docs AREN'T lost!

Those who know me know that I'm a worrier. I fret. I angst. Yes, I just used angst as a verb instead of a noun. Because I do it. I blame it on my mother, who is also a worrier, fretter, angster, but I blame it on her genes being passed to me (why couldn't I get the tiny feet genes?) rather than me learning the behavior from her, because I really don't remember knowing she was a worrier. It's not like the whole environmental learning thing happened, you know what I mean? I think it's just the way we're wired.

I'm also creative. Put a worrier and a creator together and you can get some pretty sophisticated fantasies brewing!

When I couldn't get in touch with our adoption consultant to touch base on our Russia registration paperwork a number of scenarios ran through my head.
  • Our lovely notarized and apostilled documents were laying at the bottom of the ocean (Atlantic? Arctic?) in a global delivery truck on its back with the wheels slowly turning with the current
  • Our adoption agency had burned down and our lovely notarized and apostilled documents were laying in a pile of ashes. A good stiff St. Louis breeze stirs them and sends them into the Mighty Mo.
  • Somehow in the receipt of our lovely notarized and aspostilled documents our agency took a real, hard look at the Shriners on paper and said, "What were we THINKING? We don't want to help these folks adopt! Move them to the 'We need to tell them the bad news list!'

You get the picture.

Using my former reporter skills of repeated phone messages (and then checking with the front desk at the adoption agency to make sure that our consultant had not, God forbid, been hit by the proverbial bus), I finally (finally!) received an update from said consultant, who was very apologetic for having not responded to me sooner. Seems she was managing a document emergency - not ours, thankfully! Today's update was that one of our agency documents has to be redone and re-apostilled, but this will be done tomorrow and our paperwork should...I repeat, should...be on its way to Russia this time tomorrow.

She promised she'd update me tomorrow afternoon. If she doesn't I'm certain a whole new batch of stories will ensue. Left to my on devices, who knows what I will come up with!

2 comments:

Kim said...

LOL - I am pretty sure if any of those things happened you would have seen it on the news, especially #1! :) I am glad you got everything straight and the documents should be on the way to Russia. If you do not hear from her tomorrow at the same time, I would freak out on her. :) (I have no patience for lack of efficiency)

Kim
Oh, what is your email? I tried to email you back in regards to your comment on my blog. Kimmertek@aol.com is mine, can you email me so when we go private I can invite you?

Alison said...

I loved this post!!! I would go crazy analyzing everything too! Get us to worrying about something together and we would arrive at some pretty hysterical conclusions!!!