So those close to me know that I'm usually not content to wait - I'm a mover, a do-er, a shaker, a planner; I thrive on crossing things off lists and being in control.
Those who are coming to know me through our adoption journey - Nancy, A. Ray - however, are being met with a kinder, gentler Holly.
Don't get me wrong. There are still lists to be made and tasks to cross off, so there I'm still content and in my element. But there's something fundamentally different about where I find myself now, after the needles, the endless discussions about follicles and embies, the feeling of absolute abysmal failure at each onset of my period: I've learned that I'm not in control.
Yep, friends and family - I don't get to just wave a magic wand and make it so. Shocker.
I know that the international adoption process will be long, and I'm fine with that right now. We can move as quickly - at this point at least - as we want to move. We're moving, but I don't feel like I have to move at warp speed.
Our updates:
1 - Brian got his passport working yesterday; the good news is that they're running pretty quick with them right now, according to the guy at the post office. He actually encouraged Brian NOT to spend the $60 on an expedited service, but my wise, sage husband still ponied up the dough for "rush" service. Good call, honey. I'll feel better when that is something to be crossed off that list!
2 - We've had communication with the social worker who will do our home study. Our agency is in a bit of flux with their local office and suggested a social worker to do our study. And get this: a friend of mine works for her! We will meet with the social worker in the next two weeks or so to get the full list of documents for the home study process and learn more. I also learned that the home study is a lot less than we'd been budgeting - miracle of miracles that something is LESS expensive in this expensive adventure!
3 - We've finished the loan activity for the first 1/2 or so of the adoption - the money hit our savings account today. While paying against the loan is a bummer (why don't they just give money away? They could call it a lottery or something), it's VERY nice to know the dough is at our finger tips to pay for pieces and parts at the beginning. That doesn't mean I still don't plan on going through the garage this weekend for things to sell on eBay - because believe you me, I do!
That's all for now - Brian and I are going to watch as many Netflix movies as we can before I put our account on hold at the end of the month. We've got better places for that $15!
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
My husband got his passport back in the mail yesterday- it took 2 weeks without the expediated service.
I had my name changed on mine (yes, I know, I should have had that done years ago!!) and I received it back before I got my certified mail receipt back!! I guess the government is gettin' with some passport processing!!
Post a Comment