I figure that if one person has these questions, others do, too! So, in the spirit of sharing, I thought I'd answer these questions from my friend, Lori.
She asked two questions:
1) Did you specify whether you wanted a boy or girl? We didn't; we are saying either. More boys than girls are generally available in Russia. There's one theory that culturally Russian men are more willing to accept a domestically adopted Russian girl, but Russian boys are "some other man's son" - so there tend to be more boys. This is the exact opposite of China, which has far, far, far more girls. So, the odds are that we'll have a son, but we could be surprised and have a daughter!
2) How old are the children when they become a part of your family? Orphans in Russia are required to be on the domestic adoption list for a number of months (six, I think) before they are eligible for the international list. The youngest you can typically find is 9-10 months; our agency encourages us to write on our paperwork a child under 3. The odds are that our child will be between 10 months and 18-24 months, but again, we might be surprised.
So...if there are other questions, e-mail them to me or post them in the comments and I'll share the answers! I'll make a longer post sometime soon and update you all on our status and anything new!
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey! Just poppin' in to check out your blog! Sounds like we're in about the same stages of our Russian adoptions...ya know, the "hmm...what have we gotten ourselves into" stage? I am looking forward to following your journey!!
Post a Comment