Thursday, January 24, 2008

Pregnant until further notice (aka PUFN)!!

In IVF lingo, I'm PUFN - pregnant until further notice! We completed the embryo transfer this morning. Whew!

We still had 4 embies continuing to develop normally, which was a relief! My biggest fear was that we would go in this morning and they would say we had 1 or none; I wanted them to check on them yesterday, but they don't like to disturb them as it's an important developmental day and they like to just let them "keep chugging along." I kept imagining an incubator with a hotel "Do Not Disturb" sign on it!

But, we discovered that all 4 did indeed keep chugging along yesterday. They grade the embies right before transfer (though the grade doesn't really have anything to do with success rates, it's just how they rate them at the moment). We had 1 A and 3 C's - but our doctor wasn't too concerned about the C's - he said in the next hour or two they could easily do their thing and turn into B's or higher.

Then, it was decision time: How many do we transfer back?

Decision factors included:
1 - my age of 37
2 - the fact that they won't cyropreserve any embies below a B - just because their success rate of freezing, thawing and implanting is very low
3 - Brian and I had talked all along about transferring 3 if we had them
4 - we wouldn't push the A to a further development stage for freezing - we wanted it transferred!

So, drum roll please....we transferred all 4!

Now we settle in deeper (like we hope at least 1 embie is) and...WAIT! My first blood test is scheduled for Feb. 5, which will tell us if we have reason to continue to be hopeful. I've learned a positive pregnancy blood test doesn't equal a done deal, so we'll just hope and pray that that beta is positive and that we have reason to continue to hope for a viable pregnancy.

I've been assured I can't cough or sneeze them away, but I'm still going to take it easy and stay on "couch rest" and enjoy it! Our Netflix subscription has been very utilized and I've been able to watch a bunch of chick flicks without subjecting Brian to them! Plus, he came home yesterday to homemade oatmeal chocolate chip cookies because I was feeling bakey.

Your well-wishes have been SO appreciated and helpful; I just know that there is a ton of love for us, and for our embies, out there. Settle in for the wait - and stay tuned!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Four! WOW! PUFN! WOW! You've had quite a morning, haven't you? Thanks for the quick update. We've all been waiting and asking each other. I'm so happy for you. Love to you and Brian.

T Shriner said...

Lots of exciting updates! Thinking of you, Brian, and the "embies"!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a journey! I'm keeping all my fingers crossed and thinking ++++ thoughts!. Good Luck!
Love, Sarah G