I won't go ultimate-emotional and write about my first Mother's Day, but suffice it to say it was a. long. time. coming. The day was really wonderful. Brian came down first and sent the girls up with cards (I'll spare you the picture of me in bed with them, but we wanted to capture the moment). When I came down to coffee brewing already I found a lovely bouquet of flowers on the table. Leah had made me a sweet tile painting at preschool (it's a flower, she proudly told me) and I opened that. After church my parents came over and we grilled hot dogs and watched the girls play in the ladybug "fountain" - otherwise known as a sprinkler. It was about 95 degrees that day. Today, one week later, it's in the 50s.
After so many years of wondering if this would, finally be the last year of not being a mother, I'm happy to say that we've left that phase of our life behind. I'd much rather take the challenges of life with two girls 11 months apart than the challenges of trying to get pregnant and the challenges of the adoption journey.
The girls' latest obsession is Tangled, the modern Rapunzel movie. They still clamor for Toy Story movies, but I'm really happy to add in Tangled into the rotation! Right now they're playing doctor (the baby needs a shot, then a band-aid, then some more medicine); it's such a hoot to listen to them pretend-and-play and see what they come up with.
Our other recent bright spot was meeting some great friends IRL - in real life! I have found a sisterhood of fellow adoptive mothers or those in the process of adoption, and we're all spread across the country, connected by the computer. First it was an online forum and now it's via a private group on Facebook. The women I'm proud to call sisters are simply amazing and I wouldn't have made it through our journey without them - we consider each other aunts for every new child who comes into families biologically or through adoption - domestic, foster-to-adopt, international, etc. And yesterday I got to hug one of my friends in person! It was great to meet Tiff and her husband and daughter and to play with them all. We're blessed to have friends like this in our lives.
Getting ready to open Leah's present, made at preschool.
Look at my sweet girl.
My first Mother's Day flowers.
Giving Killian bites of pancakes.
Giving Killian some bites of pancakes.







3 comments:
Yay! It was great seeing you too! Maybe next time we can meet Brian and Killian! Yes, Mother's Day holds and entirely new twist once you are one, especially after all the waiting! LUL! See you soon! Tiff, James and Sophia
There is something to be said about a first mother's day long time coming.
Your girls are absolutely beautiful. We adopted our little boy from Vladivostok, Russia in 2009. We are now heading into our second trip for court in the next couple of months for a baby girl.
Looking at your photos, I am reminded of the long journey to such a rewarding new adventure.
Happy Mothers Day... and every day after that!
I'm so glad you are part of the club (the club of being a Mommy)! It was a long journey but seeing those sweet girls every day makes it worth it! :)
Becky
Post a Comment