We made it home late Thursday - and for those who don't know, we happened to travel home and introduce the girls to their new home on my 40th birthday. We really couldn't have planned it that way if we'd tried! We'd decided the day we came home would be the one we'd recognize as a sort of family day and celebrate each year and I'm more than happy to transition my birthday to the back burner.
The day started with Brian and me catching vomit in our hands as a child in the backseat of a hot car got carsick on the way to the airport. The international flight was hellish, but it is behind us. We received some much-needed support from a few other adoptive parents on the flight, whom we'd met the day before at the Embassy. We were greeted at the airport by my parents and they followed us home, where we found banners, balloons, a newly mown lawn, decorations, signs, food and more from friends and family.
We continue to try to transition the girls from Russia to US time and it's proving very tricky so not much sleep is being had around here. My parents have been coming over each day to spend some time with the girls and it's great as it gives Bri and me a chance to do some things around the house without worrying about kiddos new to home getting into anything they shouldn't.
I've not written about it because I'm beyond grief-stricken that we lost our lovely, wonderful, sweet and beloved Guinness Stout while we were gone. I can't write much because the tears don't want to stop once they start. We've begun to introduce the girls to our special, spunky, quirky and beloved Killians Irish Red and cannot wait until we can have her come home for good; for now she continues to stay at my parents house and they bring her over to spend time with the girls and us as we work through introductions and make every effort to not stress human girls or our wonderful canine girl out. There will come a post soon about Guinness, because the boy simply deserves it, but I just can't do it right now.
I've got more pics I'll post soon but things might be a bit quiet as we try to settle into a routine, get caught up on laundry, figure out how to teach the girls English so we can all communicate a bit better, try to keep the house in some order, prepare meals we'll all eat, etc. Have no fear, we're going to continue the blog for anyone who wants to follow along.
Saturday, August 21, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

14 comments:
Holly, I am so glad you guys are home!!! I know the next few weeks will be absolutely crazy but give me a call when you finally get some time!
Also, I am so sorry to here about your fur baby. I knew something was wrong from you FB page but I had no clue...my heart breaks for you all.
Congratulations and welcome home Shriner family :) So glad to hear you made it home safely. Let me know if you want to take the girls out to the Deanna Rose children's farmstead, if things get stir-crazy at home :) Elaina and I would love to meet you there.
Sarah G.
Nothing better than being home..give it some time, the girls will do great adjusting.
So sorry about G...but K will keep the girls in high spirit :)
We are 15 min and a phone call away if you need anything.
Welcome Home Shriner Fam!!
love,
Hanne's
So glad you are back home! We're so sorry about Guinness. Good luck getting settled in. We can't wait to meet Leah and Hope!
Carolyn
You know you're a true parent when your child vomits and you reach out to catch it instead of backing away! Congrats on making it home, and many prayers for the whole family, especially for you and Brian losing Guinness... how hard it must be to be so joyous to be home yet brokenhearted at the same time. I love you lots!
Julie
So sorry to hear about your sweet dog. My 9 year old daughter's fish died while we were in Russia, and I felt really bad for her, but a dog is a whole different story. I can only imagine how sad you must be. Congratulations on getting home, I can't wait to hear all about your new life. It is exciting, yet exhausting at times!
Victoria
Holly and Brian....we are so very happy to hear that you are all home safe and sound!!! I am sure those flights were very tough but like you said, forget about it....that's is exactly what we did!!! How exciting to go home to the banners, balloons and lots of friends and family.....tears for you about your beloved dog...my heart us breaking for you!!! Our Matt was so afraid of our 2 labs for the 1st couple days and then all of a sudden he decided he loved them and has never looked back...hopefully the girls will love your sweet dog as well!!! Please keep blogging as I can't wait to hear how the girls are adjusting.....and Pictures, please!!! :) P.S. Happy 40th....I don't blame you....once you hit that big 4-0 sounds like a fantastic plan to replace birthdays with family day instead!!!! Hope you all are getting so much needed rest and the girls are settling in!
Hey! So glad you made it home safely. I know it'll be a super tough transition without Guinness, but I'm thinking he's up across the Rainbow Bridge playing and sleeping on a comfy couch (and chattering!) with Reagan and Bailey.
We'd love to bring a meal by to save you some kitchen time as you guys settle in. Let me know if you're interested.
Thinking of you.
Sarah
YAY!!! Welcome back to Kansas! Hopefully everyone's acclimating as well as can be expected. I have several, Russian videotapes and books for children that you can borrow if you think that would aid in Leah and Hope's adjustment with everything. There's also a Russian shop (groceries, deli, books and magazines) only a few blocks from my house that might have Russian treats they might be craving even as they segue into American life.
Welcome home!
Courtney (Eblen) McCain
913-831-1350 (home)
kemsnews@everestkc.net
Yay!! So sweet to hear you are all home safe, but very sorry about your doggy.
Hellish?? Oh what joys lay ahead for us?
Wishing a very happy 40th. Hope you all adjust well and sleep finds you soon.
We still haven't gotten Anna yet.....I'm going nuts!!!
Congratulations!!!!
Welcome home! It just wouldn't be an international adoption done right without a little vomit somewhere along the road.
Sorry to hear about Guinness. I know he was your family and I can't imagine losing him while you were gone.
Welcome home Holly and family! What an awesome birthday present to have everyone home on your birthday! I like the anniversary plan!
I'm so sorry to hear about G...It has been 3 years since our Max died and it still hurts a bit.
Good luck with the family.
Becky
What an amazing journey and a happy famiversary to you all! Love ya, Happy Birthday too!
So glad to read that you're all home and safe! Andy & I have been following along and praying that you would soon be home with the girls. We'll continue to think of you all as you go through this transition as a family. Take care and enjoy!
-Amanda
Post a Comment