Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I think this is real...

This post is written with cautious optimism.

I think we have a court date.

I mean, we do have a court date, which was kind of communciated to us out of the blue. We were expecting word on if the judge would accept our mortgage letter and instead got an e-mail saying we were supposed to be in Russia in about three weeks. In adoption lingo, that's an EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

(I'm just not certain I'll really believe it until we're sitting in the court room being grilled by the judge.)

There are, of course, a gazillion stressful hoops to jump through, not the least of which is a quickly expiring federal government approval which essentially CANNOT expire (on June 5!!!; I've been working for WEEKS to try to get the government to respond to my requests of, "What do we need to do?!" and just got word late last week) or we're sunk. Insert social worker making a special trip to our home at 6 p.m. tonight and Holly working every piece of suggestive persuasion she can in getting everything we need from everyone to get it to the government in time to get it processed and back to us before the June 5 expiration.

And, I just got what I thought was the last batch of documents apostilled but found out I'll have to make ANOTHER trip to Topeka for revalidation of our psychiatric assessments (which I'm now coordinating getting from the psychiatrist), which "expired" May 13, since Russian courts only count medical stuff in our case as current for 3 months.

 But, now with an actual court date I have more ammo to beg people to help me. We'll likely leave in about three weeks, have a couple of days in Tver for redoing our Russian medicals (do.not.get.me.started) and visits with the girls (!!!) before two half-day court sessions. We'll likely be there over a weekend (bummer!) and finish up court early the following week. Then we'll likely come home as non-custodial parents, waiting out a 10-day appeal period that's standard. Then we'll likely return to take custody and wait in-country (for a long time) for their Russian and US passports, then come home.

Needless to say, I am SPINNING.

13 comments:

amy said...

woohoo!!! so, so, so excited and happy for y'all & your girls! I hand-delivered our homestudy to the USCIS office and they processed our extended I-717H approval much faster... hope you can do that too!

Anonymous said...

Yay....I am very excited for you and for your girls!

Linda

Tracey and Chuck said...

WHOOO HOOO!!!!!!!!!! So excited to see this post today!!!! We are doing the Happy Dance for you!! Keeping our fingers crossed that USCIS is cooperative and gets things done for you quickly!!! (is that even a word in their language?) Lets hope for you guys it is! You will be holding your girls once again very very soon!!! This made my day!!!!!!!!

Tracey

Anonymous said...

WOW....How cool is this!!
You've got a whole lot of us jumping up and down for both of you.
Love,
Hanne's

Gloria said...

Super Super ahppy for you guys!!!! YEAH!!!!

Alison said...

EEEEKKKKKK!!!! Can I just tell you how super-pumped I am for you guys?!?! I cannot wait for you to be in that court room!!!

Wendi and Terry said...

YES!! Those baby girls are going to be back in your arms so soon!! So thrilled for you - love reading posts like this!!

Susan said...

Wonderful news!!! I hope all the paperwork issues work out!

Tiffany said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I am thrilled! We'll be in KC June 6th and I guess you all being in RUSSIA is a good excuse not to go to dinner with us!!! YAYAYAYAYYAYAYAYAYAYAY! The next time we come up, we'll TOTALLY do Rainforest Cafe with our girls! AYAYAYAYAYAY!

Love ya! P.S. Update me on their sizes when you can. Thanks!

Nicole Brueck said...

AWESOME!!! When we were scrambling for our documents, we brought pictures from our first trip to show the people exactly who they were helping to bring home. Worked like a charm every time..... :)

Anonymous said...

WOW! This totally made my day! I will be in Chicago, on vacation with the family, while you are in Russia but I'll be excited to read about your adventures when I return!
Please let us know the sizes of the kids and we can go shopping for them. There should be a party welcoming them to America (I'm sure you already have that in mind) so we can all see them and celebrate with you!
Becky

Todd and Jana said...

I picked a nice time to catch up on your blog:) Fantastic news!

Jane and Jim said...

VERY exciting indeed!!! Congrats! Take a deep breath - it's allllmost over!
Looking forward to seeing the pics!