As I mentioned yesterday, I'm starting to make lists of things we need to take on both upcoming trips: court and custody. I'm mostly concerned about the custody trip, obviously.
So chime in. If you were going to be living in a hotel with two girls (one of whom will likely celebrate a 3rd birthday while we're there and the other will be approaching 4, but remember they've been living in a rural, sheltered orphanage and aren't used to the modern bells and whistles) for a lllloooonnnnggg time (we're looking at 16 days in Tver awaiting Russian passports before we head to Moscow to wait for US passports), what would you have on your list?
Keep the ideas coming - either here or in random e-mails to me. I welcome any and all ideas!
Saturday, May 22, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
Hmm...I happen to have some experience with this. :)
Things that saved us anything sensory related. SO, finger paints, shaving cream (with some food coloring), play-doh, moon sand. It's all messy but a therapist had recommended it all for calming and soothing effects. Bottom line was, it worked and the girls did great. Other than those few items, we had nothing in our hotel...but we could leave if we wanted to brave the blizzard outside! Whic, being Arkansans, was not on our agenda too often!
The thing of it was, we were complete strangers to our girls and the hotel stay was very calm. The girls were extremely compliant and really just wanted to cuddle a lot once they figured out we weren't going anywhere.
That's the best advice I have. :)
Marina loved musical toys when we were staying in Moscow - still does. She kept pushing the "play" button over and over again. Don't underestimate the power of any empty bottle of water, too. She played for a long time with that water bottle. Bring some coloring book and crayons and bring out a new toy every day. It will be something new that captures their attention. Good luck, we're so happy it's finally happening for you!
Sensory integration also, so we bought a bag of dried beans, rice, etc. Also, know that the first few bathtub experiences will be a nightmare!!
I agree with the sensory stuff & empty water bottles. And the bathing will be rough. All they get in the orphanage are sponge baths. The Tver hotel just had the shower, but in Moscow hotel there was a tub. I got in the tub. took about a week for our daughter to like it (she is younger) -- our son is more adventurous.
Bring some outfits & shoes to try on at your court trip, then you know what you need for homecoming.
In Moscow, we explored and walked outside a lot. Are you doing 2 strollers?
I have no experience with Russian travel or adoption travel or anything like that but I have extensive experience traveling with young children and what it comes down to is this:
1. Portable snacks. Fruit snacks, chex mix, Cheez-its, etc etc.
2. Baby wipes and lots of them.
3. A roll or two of paper towels.
4. Some ziploc bags.
5. All the activities and fun things that people have already mentioned, plus sticker books, plus a portable DVD player never hurts.
I am so thrilled for you I can't freaking stand it.
how about coloring books??fisher-price has a portable dvd player you could bring disney movies..both girls are old enough for dolls and outfits they could play dollies and cuddle them..and the dollie could end up being a fav friend..or simple craft kits..hope this helps..I have 5 boys and 4 girls..
Holly! I'm so happy to see this update!!! My advice, for what it's worth, Pedialite has on-the-go powder packs, maybe that would be good; maybe a few books for a bedtime routine; a blanket or comfort item for each girl; DREFT to wash things in the sink; What about a magna doodle (travel-size)? That way you wouldn't run out of paper or crayons... hm. I'll keep mulling.
I'm so happy for you all! Hang in there!!! LUL!
-Bring a beach ball, it was so much fun for our kids to play with and it's easy to pack.
-Bring toys for the bath. Our first baths were HORRIBLE. Once there were toys and they saw that the water was warm, all was ok.
-Bring 2 cheap strollers. Kids get heavy.
If I think of anything else, I'll let you know! Just relax, the real fun is about to begin!
I'm not sure how you'll be set up but will you need to take things like plastic plates and sippy cups? Or at least cups with lids? I agree with the magna doodle suggestion, they have travel size ones at I think Target or Wal mart for a just a few dollars or so. Also, balloons and stickers are easy entertainment that pack easy! Those two things could keep my kids busy for hours!
Congrats on finally getting your court date! Toni & Anthony
Personally, I'd skip the bath until you get home! You have to pick your battles as parents and that is one, I'd leave for when they are in your own home where they feel safe. Give them the "bath" they are used to having for now.
Becky
Post a Comment