Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Frosting on the cupcake

One of my new and wonderfully supportive and empathetic adoption friends is Amy of cupcakeandthecaseys. She and her husband are also waiting to return to Russia to be reunited with their cupcake. I found myself thinking of them today as I was driving for some retail therapy.

I headed to my favorite locally owned children's toy, book and gift store (The Learning Tree). Imagine my surprise when I rounded the corner from the parking garage and found, across the street from the toy store, a CUPCAKE BAKERY!

So, today's post carries the moniker of Frosting on the Cupcake for a couple of reasons, one kind of obvious (the actual cupcakes I bought), but also because I found myself thinking of the toys I was buying and the artwork we ordered for the room as the fun frosting on the cupcake of the adoption! We've trudged through paperwork, endured endless phone calls and personal questions, written countless checks, scanned thousands of pieces of paper and have driven to my childhood home of Topeka for documens to be apostilled more times than I can count. All necessary, but hardly what I'd describe as fun.

But this stuff? This stuff is fun! Here are some new pics of the room, the artwork, the toys and, of course, the cupcakes!


The bed with the new spread and shams from my parents. There's another twin trundle that pulls out.

The drawer knobs I found on sale for half price, waiting to be attached to the dresser and chest of drawers.


Dress-up wooden dolls with fun clothes.

Both girls will get their own doll after they become officially ours!

See, cupcakes!


The artwork. Brian saw two of the panels one day and really liked them. We ran all around Kansas City trying to find them, but had no luck. Then he spent hours online looking for them and...eureka! They should be delivered next week!


Dessert.

10 comments:

Traci said...

ADORABLE!!! The girl's room is just adorable..love that bed spread!
Hang in there...those little "cupcakes" will be in your home before too long and dessert will even be better. =)hehe!

Nancy said...

I love it all! Delicious!

Jodi said...

That room is. so. cute. The dolls are a great idea, too.

Shelly and Steve said...

Everything is coming out great! I love the comforter and the knobs!! Great job.

I'm feeling confident, this WILL all be behind us soon and our girls WILL be home with us, I know it!! I just wish it was NOW. Hugs, Shelly

Unknown said...

Retail therapy? Very cute expression. Never heard that one before.

amy said...

Thanks for the shout out - the only way I have survived this process with my mind intact (maybe debatable!) is from the support of other bloggers like you!

Oh man retail therapy is the best :) I am super super crazy for those pieces of animal art! And that pink bedspread is beautiful.

I wish we had a cupcake bakery close by - lucky you :)

Gloria said...

Everything is so cute! So excited for you guys! Can't wait to hear about a new court date! Blogging friends are the best and help you thru it all with their own experiences. i know they helped us and are still helping us chug along.

Anonymous said...

How exciting!!! Loving it! :o)

Anonymous said...

How fun! Everything looks perfect. You've always had a knack for decorating. Praying for all 4 of you every day!
Love,
Julie

Tiffany said...

Lovin the updates! Here's to your new court date soon! LUL!