Wednesday, January 6, 2010

My (minor) meltdown

My name is Negative Nelly and I will be writing this post.

Holly thought we were in the smooth sailing portion of our story. Ha, I said to her! Ha!

Before they left for Russia, our friendly couple finished the paperwork required for their FBI background check. This was a major feat in itself; they finished it the Thursday night before they left on Saturday. In the rush, it never even occurred to Holly to FedEx said documents; instead, she gave them to her lovely and wonderful mother, along with some other mail, and said lovely and wonderful mother stood in a post office line on Monday, Dec. 14 to make sure that it had the right postage and then passed it off to the clerk behind the desk.

When Holly & Brian got back from Russia, their Kansas Bureau of Investigation background checks were waiting in their mail pile, which their helpful neighbor brought to them with their other mail. But, there was nothing from the FBI (no surprise, really). Holly started working through the banking and charges that had hit their checking account while they were gone, and there was no charge from the FBI.

Long story short, she called the FBI yesterday and THEY HAVE NEVER RECEIVED OUR REQUESTS. This means that we - oops, they since this is a strange third-person post - have lost about 3 to 4 weeks, when they have a published 8 to 10 week waiting time. This means Holly & Brian have to go get fingerprinted by their local PD - AGAIN - to send to the FBI. This time, the package will be FedExed and there will be a pleading letter inside explaining the Feb. 18 court date and begging for a quick background check - during which, of course, the feds will find NOTHING.

On a more postive note, registeries have been created; we (I'm done with the third person, go away Negative Nelly!) had fun at Target and I've been having way too much fun online at Land of Nod.

Snow's coming again. I'll update tonight if the snow apocolypse (as my friend Jodi called it today on Facebook) comes to fruition.

5 comments:

Troy and Rachel said...

Oh no!

I would try to call someone where it is being sent - yes the fed people and see if you can get a contact to work with. We had to do that with our state police clearances because they had a time of 4-6 weeks and we were leaving in 3. I got one girl and worked with her the whole time. I called her daily and she turned them around in 3 days and got them back to us. They are really helpful when you tell them you're ready to travel.

Good luck!

Troy and Rachel said...

Also (sorry to write twice) she told me that if we provided a credit card number they could run it faster than with a check or money order - apparently they have to wait until check clears or money order clears (don't ask on the money order - I thought they cleared right away) until they can run the check - so we did a credit card payment so she could run them the same day - just a thought!

Shelly and Steve said...

Yes, I had a good experience with the FBI too. You can actually talk to a live person and they were helpful. I know I included our Fed Ex acct# so they could overnight it back to us. We also didn't send in enough money we faxed them a credit card pymt and they processed it right then.

Good luck, it'll work out

Todd and Jana said...

I hope they can rush this! I am hopeful for you.

Wendi and Terry said...

Ours only took two weeks to process, so it might happen quicker than you think. Also, call someone up there and become their best friend. You just need an advocate for you and they will expedite the request. Fingers crossed (pun intended!) that you get the results FAST!