Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The stolen post

I have stolen this post (with permission) from a fellow blogger, Jana; she and her husband are adopting from Russia, albeit on the total opposite side of the huge land mass from us! I love this post because it's, well...perfectly said, I guess! It is reprinted in its entirety!

What not to say to pre-adoptive parents (Thanks for the idea Stephanie):
1. Why Russia? There are so many American kids who need good homes.

I could list a zillion pros and cons for each way to adopt, but suffice it to say that when it comes time to choose, you just have to go with what feels right to you. Like many other huge life decisions, you won't know how to cross that bridge until you come to it. Also, I find it interesting that no one uses the, “U.S. kids need homes” comment for pregnant people. As in,"Gee, it's really a shame you're pregnant. Don't you know there are lots of kids who need good homes?" (It's best if this comment is accompanied by a look that says, What the hell is wrong with you, you selfish bastard?)

2. Maybe now that you’re adopting you’ll get pregnant!

First of all, this statement is hurtful because it implies that an adopted child is somehow second best. Secondly, there is absolutely no scientific evidence to back up this statement. Studies show that less than 10% of adoptive parents will become pregnant on their own. Also, remember that there are many people who pursue adoption as their first choice.

3. Have you tried/considered/looked into/heard about…?

Yes. I have.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Holly!
I love this post, stolen or not. Now, how can we fit all that on to a t-shirt?
LUL Tiff
(jamesandtiffanyadopt)