Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Act now! Adoption tax credit information!

I'm shamelessly stealing this from one of the adoption boards I frequent. For those of us pursuing adoption, this tax credit is one of the lifelines of helping make it financially possible. You all know Brian and I are just regular folks...a guy who works hard at a cabinet shop doing bidding, drafting and building with many late nights and weekend days and a gal who has a full-time marketing communications job and a part-time toy store job to help pull this thing off.

The federal tax credit offers those who are adopting some help; when your adoption is concluded, you receive a credit that means the money you have been paying in taxes can then go to repaying some of the debt you assumed with the incessant and often-times overwhelming financial burden that accompanies adoption.

Yes, our road led us to choose adoption but it is not exactly an inexpensive way to bring a family together. PLEASE consider a quick e-mail to your public officials asking for this important tax credit to continue so that regular folks like Brian and I can both bring a child who so deserves a loving home home and so that families can continue to be built through the miracle of adoption.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HELP MAKE THE ADOPTION TAX CREDIT PERMANENT
Legislative Alert - Take Action Today

As you may be aware, the federal adoption tax credit has helped thousands of families adopt children. Now - more than ever - it is vital that this financial support stay in place to help families offset the costs and fees associated with adopting a child. Unfortunately, the tax credit is set to expire in December 2010 unless Congress votes to continue it.

The Adoption Tax Relief Guarantee Act of 2009, H.R. 213 will keep the adoption tax credit from being repealed, and *may* make the tax relief measure permanent. It only takes a few minutes to email or call your senators and congressmen it's important for them to hear from families impacted by the tax credit.

Currently, there are 76 State Senators and Representatives cosponsoring H.R. 213. However, there are 16 states that currently have no sponsors of this bill, including eight on the East Coast* (one of the largest areas of the US with internationally adopted children). H.R. 213 is currently in committee, where most bills die. It imperative that adoptive families, and all friends of children waiting for families, act now. Find out which of your congress members support the bill http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-213.

It only takes a few minutes to write, call, or email your representatives and ask them to support H.R. 213. If they are already a cosponsor, please take this opportunity to thank them for supporting this important piece of legislation. Do it today!

Email Your Representative: https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml
Email Your Senator: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

4 comments:

Nancy said...

YAY Holly! Thanks for posting!

Kim said...

Great!!!!

kateleibsle said...

Did it!

Jill said...

Hello Holly,

I came across your blog on a mission to find someone adopting from Smolensk. We are just behind your process as I see your paperwork is already there and ours is on the way. We picked our agent and started the adoption process Jan 22, 2009, so not long and things are moving fast. I'd love to communicate thru email if you don't mind. I havnt found many people adopting from this region altho I just started my search today and I've already joined a few yahoo groups.