Friday, February 6, 2009

Smolensk, baby! Or, Смоленск, ребенок!

We're likely to become a family in Smolensk, Russia!

This was a tough week - I had a meltdown with a friend at work over the lack of news/movement/action on the adoption front and this morning I posted to an adoption board that I was losing it by continuing to wait with nothing to do or nothing real to focus on.

And, the universe heard me and extended a friendly hand!

Today our adoption consultant called and told me that we've been registered in Smolensk, Russia. I've been Googling all afternoon and can't wait to spend the weekend learning more! We know that it is in far western Russia, about 225 miles from Moscow, and is one of Russia's oldest cities, dating back to 863 AD (or at least that was the earliest reference on record)! The photographs look just beautiful and we can't wait to learn more.

Here are a couple of photos, stolen from various websites.



Our consultant will call on Monday with more instructions and to see how much new paperwork we need to to before waiting for the referral phone call! It's so exciting to have a place to connect with now...Russia's such a huge country that it was hard to identify with a place...now we can! I'll write more as we learn more, or post links to sites that are helpful; that way anyone who is interested can check it out!

12 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

It looks like a beautiful city with a rich history. Hopefully you will get there this Spring or Summer (or even early Fall) to see it in all its glory. But I think those buildings would be even more beautiful in the snow too. I know it's nice to have a place to focus on during your wait.

Kim said...

I enjoy that you have started typing in Russian also. :)

The city looks beautiful and I am so happy for your news!

GuinnessandKillian said...

What's even better is that with our Russian class we can kind of sort of read some of the Russian, too!

GuinnessandKillian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

OMGosh! I am so happy and very excited for you :) Sarah G.

Sarah said...

Great news,
My children come from Vladivostok but I have 2 nephews who came from Smolensk about 8 years ago, all of the pics I ve seen from there look beautiful and full of history.
Sarah

Alison said...

OMG! This is awesome news!! I love their architecture over there and I can't wait until you get to go!!

That is how it went with us too...I hit break down mode and then we magically had news! Hang in there!!

Unknown said...

This is a very nice development!

Sira said...

Wow, just think your baby is waiting for you in Smolensk.

Susan said...

Congratulations! It looks so pretty there. Hopefully this will mean that a referral will shortly follow.

Andy and Stacye said...

Congratulations. I saw you were watching my blog now I'll watch yours. Please email me. I'd love to practice Russian with someone. Good luck in Smolensk, this is a wonderful trip but be prepared and be strong.

Stacye T.

Nancy said...

Those photos are gorgeous! You'll have to teach me how to type in Russian on here.