Thursday, January 22, 2009

That funky Cyrillic alphabet

Our first Russian class is under our belts. Man, those people have a funky alphabet! We need to work this week on understanding the letters and the sounds they make, and then reading words and combining those sounds and beginning to learn nouns. It's an interesting class (at a local community college) with some interesting characters, but it's nice because it's continuing education so there's not PRESSURE or TESTS. The instructor - who worked for the government doing translation and anti-terrorism work with Russian and Arabic specialties - asked me if I knew a word and I just laughed and said, "Pass!" Most of her Pentagon office was destroyed in the horrible events of 9/11 and her husband said, "That's it - we're OUTTA here."

I have to take Guinness to have a dental today and while I trust our vet totally, dentals and having him go under scare the S.&.I.T. out of me. Positive thoughts everyone. I cannot WAIT until it's this evening, I have him tucked at home and I can update that he came through with flying colors.

Until then...

1 comment:

Kim said...

No tests - that's my kind of class! The alphabet is hard but we found it easy to figure out once we were thrown into it.