I'm sure that's quite the cryptic headline. Not everyone's lucky enough to have a Manjo, or be a Manjo, but it's one of my good things in life. And yesterday my Manjo got married! Forgive me a few moments of sappiness while I wish him and his new bride as much happiness as there is in the world.
Right out of college, I moved a couple of hours away from home to be a newspaper reporter. I landed an internship in St. Joseph, MO, and the internship turned into a job (which was good for a girl who had just graduated from journalism school with a BS in what was then termed journalism - news/editorial).
There were lots of fellow reporters my age at the paper and I was lucky enough to make a really solid group of friends. We worked, we hung out, we hit the bars (even the occasional townie ones). One of the sports guys became one of my closest friends. We would pick a new drink to make each night (Salty Dogs, other random picks with unusual names that could be made from the many liquors in Long Island Ice Teas) and rent movies (VHS ones) or watch Seinfeld reruns and the occasional Dallas Cowboys documentary or "year of" tape.
One night during a movie, we both misheard a line and in one of those it-made-sense-right-then-and-is-the-funniest-thing-ever moments, our interchangeable nickname of Manjo was born.
Flash forward more years than I'd care to count (more than 10, less than 20 by a thank-goodness few) and my friend stood yesterday before a motley crew of his friends and family, and his bride's friends and family, and said "I do."
Naturally, Brian's and my ride home was full of me reminiscing and being thankful that my friend and his now wife invited us to their special day. It did my heart good to give him a hug, tell him I love him and meet his lovely wife.
So, to Adam and Dea, here's one of the readings from our wedding. Keep those smiles on your faces and enjoy the adventure that's uniquely yours. From this friend whose hand is always near, congratulations.
The Irish Blessing (Traditional)
"May the road rise to meet you,
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
May God be with you and bless you;
May you see your children's children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings,
May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
And may the hand of a friend always be near.
May green be the grass you walk on,
May blue be the skies above you,
May pure be the joys that surround you,
May true be the hearts that love you."
Sunday, November 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow ... we got just back from our honeymoon cruise and I discover I am the subject of a blog! This is a first.
I am soooo glad you and Brian made it to our wedding. He seems extremely cool and perfect for you. ... I know the four of us would make for a fun weekend one of these days.
I am also thankful we've managed to at least kind of stay in touch after all the twists and turns our lives have taken. It is a good feeling to know I could call 50 years from now and get a laugh by simply saying "Manjo!"
Post a Comment