Sunday, August 17, 2008

Home study interview - we rock!

We have successfully survived our home study interview! Social Worker B (see the story below for explanation if needed!) just left after a 3-hour interview and quick tour of the house. While I wasn't dreading the appointment I was eager for it to be over...kind of like those annual women's exams. They're never horrible but you're always glad when you've put another one behind you!

She was awesome with our previous guest stars, Guinness and Killian. At first they were upstairs and Killian wanted to let it be known that she was unhappy about that; Social Worker B kept saying, "Oh, let them downstairs." So, I did (after tripping over the computer power cord because I moved the coffee table because we have a really low-hanging ceiling fan in the living room that I was worried about her knocking herself out on or having to get stitches from hitting). So when Killian came down Killian started showering Social Worker B with kisses...and Social Worker B loved it!

We didn't get any truly mind-boggling questions, unless you count "How will you talk to your child about sex?" Ummm....we have such a long road to go before we event get a child and now we have to know how we're going to talk to unknown aged child with unknown background about sex? Yikes! But, our social worker has adopted internationally so she was cool with our reasoned answers. It was more like sitting and talking with a friend. I just didn't want to talk for Brian all the time...but then when she left he said, "You can talk for me in those situations any time!" But, like my wonderful husband always does, when he answered he said exactly what I was thinking and feeling!

She seemed to like the house and said now it will take her a couple of weeks for her first draft of our home study report - we'll get to see it to make sure there are no glaring errors and she'll show it to our agency so that there's nothing in there that will be culturally horrible with our Russian route. When we get the final report we can apply for US federal government approval to adopt - so here's to a fast couple of weeks!

1 comment:

Nancy said...

A birdie told me it is your birthday...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

OH, and glad the last interview went well!