Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Holly's follies

Good news! My first ultrasound after starting the stim shots was today and things are looking great! We have 10-12 follicles on each side, left and right, and their sizes all look great, according to the doctor. Whew! I was thinking the best of thoughts but you always have a little devil on one shoulder who whispers bad what-ifs into your subconscious! (Just a refresher - not all follicles will have an egg, and they sometimes can't retrieve all the eggs, so you want the perfect balance of lots of follicles but not too many to cause you to get sick).

Now we wait for a call from the nurse today to give us our next instructions - which likely will be to continue the shots at the same dosage and then go back to the doctor for another check soon. I also had blood drawn today that they'll check to make sure my horome levels are good. But, we couldn't have better news this early in the game...let's just hope it stays that way!

I had a great day with my Mom yesterday. We went to visit the Thomas Hart Benton home and studio in Kansas City, and it was an excellent experience! The famous painter's home is almost exactly as he and his wife left it (they'd lived there for years and died within 10 weeks of each other; he died suddenly of a heart attack in his studio, which you get to visit). The home is beautiful - leaded windows, fireplaces, interesting rooms - and there is artwork there (not the same quantity as at museums, including the Nelson, but artwork just the same) and it was fascinating to learn about his painting technique - not just paint and go but very, very studied, precise and planned!

After our great day yesterday and our good news today, I'm going to cuddle down with the dogs and continue to send grow-follies-grow vibes to our 10-12 on each side! Hope you all are well and I'll update the next time we've got more news or information!

UPDATE - 3 p.m. So apparently I'm pretty hormonal - go figure! My bloodwork level is slightly elevated so they're dropping our dosage tonight and then again for Wednesday and Thursday nights - I'll go back Friday for another check. Nothing to worry about - just the clinic earning their money by making sure they don't send my system into overdrive!

1 comment:

T Shriner said...

Great news! I've got my fingers, toes, eyes, and everything else crossed!