Saturday, January 5, 2008

And here's the promised blog

Is there anyone out there. Hello?! This is Holly, ready to talk (or write) all about me and the strange inner workings of my strange inner self!

So many of you have been so incredibly supportive and helpful during our infertility journey. You've listened - or if you weren't listening you at least let me talk! - and doing so helped me work through lots of issues. Thanks to each and every one of you who has listened to me babble - your support means more than you will ever know.

As you know, Brian and I have started down an exiting new path on our infertility journey - in vitro fertilization. After five IUIs (othewise known as inseminations), one early miscarriage/chemical pregnancy and many, many trips to a wonderful specialist's office, we decided to go for the Big Mack Daddy of treatments.

During the Big Mack Daddy, there are lots of pieces and parts, procedures and milestones, shots to give, pills to swallow, but most importantly - dreams to dream.

I have had so many people say that they want to know how things are going as we continue down this path. So, rather than e-mail you all with details you might not care about, I decided to try the blog. I'll post updates and those who care to read them can wander in any old time they'd like. Read to your heart's content, skim - the choice is up to you!

Where are we in the process today?
I never thought I'd be exicted to take shots, but I am! A few days ago we started injections of Lupron, which essentially helps our RE (an abbreviation for our infertility doctor) and the wonderful IVF nurses control my cycle. I'm much like a marionette - dance, Holly, dance! Brian ably tells me each evening about 8 p.m. "You're going to feel a little prick" and then there is a really, really little prick - I hardly feel a thing!

What is next?
We have an important doctor's visit on Wednesday, the 9th, where my body (and the doctors) will hopefully give me the green light to continue with the IVF this cycle (we just have to make sure that everything is on track, such as hormone levels, ovaries, etc.). If we get the green light to keep going, we then start "stim" shots on Friday the 11th. Stim shots do just that - stimulate multiple follicles that could include an egg.

What's after that?
After the stim shots, we'll go in for the "retrieval" when the doctors essentially harvest eggs from the follicles. Then the eggs are fertilized and then transferred back into my uterus as embryos somewhere between 3 and 5 days post-retrieval.

Then what?
Then we wait, just like every other couple trying to conceive, for about 2 weeks, for an important blood test.

That's where we are in a nutshell. As there are updates, or just more blabbering, I'll post them. Again, thanks all - and send every good wish, thought and prayer our way! They are more than welcome and are very comforting!

3 comments:

Christine said...

Hi Holly & Brian,
I think this is a great way to share such a personal experience. I want you to know that I am behind you 100% and am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. Keep us posted! and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

You know we're rooting for you every step of the way. If there's anything we can do, you've got our number---just call! :-) The "force" of our thoughts & prayers will continue to be with you as you embark on a new part of your journey.

Love you both!

AliCole said...

Yey Holly and Brian! You guys are in my thoughts and prayers, and I am here for ANY blabbing you might need to do. Can't wait to hear what happens next. Big hugs and lots of love!