I'm a Midwestern girl; except for last summer spent in Russia, I've lived my entire life here in The Middle so summers get hot and winters get cold.
Except this hot seems excessive.
Maybe it's because I have two 4-year-olds (until two weeks from today when the older 4 turns 5!!!) and that means doing anything car-related means getting them both in and out of carseats with buckles and straps. The asphalt in parking lots radiates heat. There's lots of whining and dragging, and then there's how the girls feel.
The daycare provider is taking a much-deserved vacation this week, so it's been one of those crazy puzzle-piece weeks of a patchwork of kid care; I've taken time off from work, a dear friend/teenager played endlessly and braided their hair one day, they are with my parents tomorrow. This morning I just turned on the hose and let them do with the sprayer what they would. Now Snow White is on the DVD and we're back inside the blessed air conditioning. I hope the person who invented AC has an extra-special spot in Heaven.
My mom and I took the girls to get summer pictures done yesterday and I hope to have some to share this weekend. I'll prepare you right now - the pictures are beyond adorable.
I'm stealing this from a fellow adoptive mother of a Russian child; adorable Clara Jane:
I just checked out the US Dept. of State website and found these stats regarding the number of children adopted from Russia to the US by year:
2010: 1,079
2009: 1,586
2008: 1,857
2007: 2,303
2006: 3,702
2005: 4,631
2004: 5,862
2003: 5,221
2002: 4,950
2001: 4,292
2000: 4,286
1999: 4,381
Wow, that's a tiny number for 2010.
Back to Holly: Yikes, that is a tiny number. What's funny to me is I can put a name to some of those numbers: Hope, Leah, Anthony, Clara Jane, Anna, Natalia...goodness I'm blessed to know these precious little ones who started their lives in Russia.
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment