Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday - it's August!

Brian and I are sitting in the hotel hallway attempting to get both girls to nap. Yesterday Leah went down no problem and Hope wasn't having any of it and today the roles are reversed. The great news was that yesterday evening  we finally got a call that told us their schedule (we were waiting for our agency to translate it for us) so we could know what routine they're used to. That was much-needed for this planner! I felt like we were just be-bopping along all willy nilly and I didn't like it at all! We assumed they napped but we didn't know when, so just knowing the timing is a huge help. Yesterday we just stayed in the room with them when we were attempting the naps but I think our constant faces in theirs was a little too much so today we told them naptime and then sat outside the hotel room with the door cracked open. We've had marginal success.(Edited a few moments later to say I think they're both out. Of course they didn't start sleeping at the same time, so this could be fun as we try to figure this out!)

These days are long to fill when you're living in a hotel with only your feet to get you places (well, our feet and a stroller)..Even though we knew that they would be, the reality is a challenge! We like the room because it's in a secluded hallway and has a tub, which we've not ever had at the hotel before and the girls LOVE baths, which is kind of surprising since many kids coming out of the orphanage do not at all. But, the room is small-ish with us all in it and though we try to stay organized we constantly are saying to each other, "Where's the this," or "Where'd you put the that?" Brian just said, "We have to figure out some better organization." Um, yeah. Good luck with that! We don't want to lose the tub and the parental-units staging area hallway, which we would if we asked for a larger room, plus it would mean moving them again. And all of stuff. Even though we don't know where any of it is, the thought of packing it to another room here isn't a good one!

I'll try to post pictures later. We pretty much try to find a park or playground; there's a small one by the hotel and today we walked much farther away and found another. There's a third that we've found that we'll do sometime.

4 comments:

MJTG said...

Congratulations and great pictures!! I know there is a larger playground further away and closer to the river. We took the walking tour during our stay. Very worthwhile. Maybe you could take the stroller, but have them walk some too. 24/7 in small quarters is very challenging, but knowing the routine is helpful --lenghten bathtime, etc. They are used to seeing one building/surroudings, so every outing can be overstimulating. The trick is to balance the interest and activity. Your routine will change when you get home too. Where the mall is located, that whole street/sidewalk has open space -- just one section and you have an instant area for them to explore -under watchful eyes! At this age their attention span is a little longer than younger kids.
Good Luck!

Uncle Kirk said...

Welcome to the world of parenthood :-) Better get used to the where's this and where's that, because it won't end when you get home, simply because they will have so much more room to drop things :-)

I hope you get the passports as soon as possible and are able to get them back to their new home.

Alison said...

I am laughing at "Uncle Kirk"! Yeah, we never know where anything is at our house! The kids like to hide things faster than I can find them! AND, for some reason, Scott keeps accusing ME of unorganization...um, yeah, I ahve him and two preschoolers to organize!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Leah! Enjoy your first holiday with your new family.
The Milne's