Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Drug tests, bloodwork and medicals, part 2

Today found me getting another drug test and contacting our doctor's office with a request for orders for bloodwork/labwork for us both. Our medicals are only good for 3 months and, sadly, have expired. Not only do we have to redo all our US medicals, we will have to redo our very expensive and very creepy in-country medicals in Russia. Very, very frustrated and dismayed as this was, well, very expensive and very creepy.

P.S. On Thursday a.m. - I agree with those who commented and now am really wondering why we had to do our medicals on trip 1. I've asked our agency what precipitated this - if it's a judge mandate that it happen on trip 1 or what. It's just not sitting well that we'd have to do them on trip 1, then have delays beyond our control and have to pay to redo them on trip 2. I probably won't get anywhere with my questions (or what I mean is I probably won't get the answer I want) but I'm asking away. My e-mails probably go into the "troublemaker" file these days.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been following your blog and I can certainly empathize with your situation.

When we started the process in Jan 2007, we thought we would be adopting from China. But the timeline to adopt from China was approaching 3 years and increasing, so we decided on Vietnam. But one year into the Vietnam program, US adoptions ended because the Vietnam government ceased the program because the two countries could not agree on standards for adoption. Then we switched to Russia, and the agency we were working with closed its' Russia program after a year because of delays, moratoriums, procedural changes and general problems with getting suitable orphans for the US families. So we switched to our current agency in April 2009, and we received a referral for a healthy beautiful 14 month girl in December. We got our visas, airplane tix, hotels, and orphange gifts and 4days before we were supposed to leave, we learned she is being adopted by a local Russian family (domestic adoptions take precedence over int'l adoptions - why this family chose her just after we agreed to adopt her and made all of our travels plans is something we will never know).

We've had to extend our I171H approval once because it expired after 18 months, and we are being fingerprinted by DHS for the third time because the 15 month periods have expired twice. But we remain committed to seeing this through with them until we come home with a child.

This is not a fun way to start or add to a family. Best of luck to you in your adoption journey...Claude & Lori

Shelly and Steve said...

You have to do US medicals too?? I thought since you had to do the Russian medical that was enough.....I'm amazed that I'm still amazed by this INSANITY!!! Just know I feel your pain and hope this endless loop ends for us both SOON. Maybe we'll both find the leprechan gold this St. Patty's day to help out with the craze costs!!! ;-)

Iraida and Valeria Sofia said...

Dear Lord!!!! I can't believe they made you do the Russian medicals on your first trip. What's with IA agencies??? They all seem to work different. I had mine done on my second trip, which is what everyone should do to avoid these things. I did have to re-do my US medicals, but those are less expensive. I'm soooo sorry this is happening to you. Keeping you in my prayers. Big Hug!

Michele said...

I'm so sorry you are going thru this. I also had to re-do my medical in the US a few weeks ago to get a court date even though it was less than a year since I did the last one for the homestudy. It seems a bit redundant considering I also need to do the 8 dr medical in Russia next trip. After going thru this process I wouldn't recommend anyone getting the Russian medical on trip #1.

Anonymous said...

AAAAAAHHHHHH! You must be ready to scream or throw something or scream again! Hang in there!!!

- Sarah & Grady

Kathy S said...

That's ridiculous. blood work should be good for at least 6 mos.