Friday, February 5, 2010

Hard decision: Asked for a later court date

We asked our agency yesterday to ask the judge for a later court date. We just feel that it's unreasonable to expect that everything will come together and we'd be able to be there for court on Feb. 18. We are still unsure when we'll get our FBI clearances; our senator's office contacted the FBI and they were kind in their reply, but could make no promises about getting our paperwork through any more quickly than the 10 weeks. The good news is that we were logged/started processing as with a Dec. 17 date, but that puts a 10-week window at Feb. 25.

Plus, we have some issues with apostilles; I won't bore you with the details. We're also having trouble finding a psychiatrist who can help us; yes, it has to be a psychiatrist. That's on my to-do list today, if I can muster the engery.

SO. We just felt the best thing to do was to ask for a later date. Because of the fluid situation we hadn't been able to make travel or visa arrangements. A later date allows us to make more reasonable arrangements. It's the right decision, we feel, but it's a tough one and my heart hurts a bit today.

4 comments:

Kim Abraham - Mom to the Fabulous Five! said...

I know that was tough. As badly as you just want to get there, you KNOW it's next to impossible to get everything done in time. And the Airfare with a few days notice is outragious! We also had to request a later court date. We got a 2 week extension and everything worked out just right. Good luck on those FBI clearances!

Jodi said...

Sad on your behalf. I hope the time passes quickly.

The Landrys said...

So sorry for the delay. I've been following your blog and hoping that you would get your clearances soon. We are in the process of adopting and we were going to be assigned to the Smolensk region. We got a phone call today about Moscow. Its such a hard decision. Do you mind me asking why you changed from Smolensk to Tver? You can message me at selandry@charter.net if you don't mind when you have a minute. I know you are super busy! Good luck!

Missy Carvin said...

That's tough, tough, tough. But I think you're right and it will be the right decision in the end. Would a later court date mean you only have to travel one more time, or are there two more trip no matter what?