Friday, August 28, 2009

The great growing gourd

Is it a pumpkin? Some other variety? Oh, the excitement as we try to figure it out!

As I posted earlier, I love fall. Adore it. Crave it. If it could always be October, I think I'd be happy. OK, that's not true, because then I love Thanksgiving and even though it's looking more like we won't have BK home by Christmas as we'd hoped I am starting to look forward to that holiday, too. But, I still really, really like October.

There's just something about all those beautiful fall colors - reds, oranges, yellows, browns. I love watching the leaves change (but not necessarily the naked trees that result), having that lovely fall air, cuddling in bed with the windows open, delicious Honeycrisp apples and more.

Last year we went a bit crazy betting fall decorations for outside - we went to a wonderful farm where you take a wheelbarrow up to these huge fields of plants and pick your own gourds and such (I don't know the scientific definition of gourd vs. pumpkin vs. squash, etc., so just deal), as well as some bales of hay.

We had little ones and big ones. Green ones and white ones. Solid pumpkin-colored ones and lovely striped ones and round ones and necked ones and, oh, just lovely ones. We loaded up our wheelbarrow, loaded them in the truck and decorated both front and back.

Of course, once the weather turned, the decorations just kind of sat outside and deflated. Finally we just chucked them all behind our shed in the backyard so they could return to nature, well... naturally.

About a month ago, I was mowing and thought, "What the HECK is that huge thing?" and just about mowed over a large-leafed plant. Then I realized it was something new growing this year from something old last year. Yippee!

We've seen lovely blossoms and now have some little round things of some type starting to grow...and I'm so excited you wouldn't believe it.

3 comments:

Nancy said...

I love Fall too. Except we don't quite get all of the beautiful colors down here. Keep us posted on what's growing!

Shelly and Steve said...

Yeah.....we're getting fall colors here, reds, browns, yellows.....from Fire, Smoke, and the sun!! Hit 111 degrees here...don't ever remember it getting that hot here...fall??? Guess I'll find that in Vlad hopefully :o)

Troy and Rachel said...

Holly & Brian - I came across your blog this evening and just stopped by to say "Hi". We are a fellow CHI family and adopted our son from Izhevsk, Russia in April 2008. I hope you receive news of a referral soon from Smolensk!