Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Settle down, settle in

I got curious yesterday to see if I could learn about the processing of our application and return of the coveted I171H. I was shocked when I found on the Department of Homeland Security/Citizenship and Immigration Services website the average wait time at the Kansas City office for our type of application.

Ready?

THREE MONTHS!

Eek! That means with a fingerprinting date of Oct. 1 that we're easily looking at after the holidays before we get news of our I171H. That's a major disappointment, as I'd all along hoped to have our first batch of paperwork IN Russia by Christmas. Oh, well. This whole thing sometimes seems like a series of exercises toward some theoretical thing, not a real thing, so I guess what's the big deal? We've been trying to become parents since April of 2006 and now it's really just feeling like a vague idea that we have - you know, like, "We should retire to Colorado" or "I'd love to travel to Ireland one day."

OK...enough complaining. You all have enough struggles in your own lives. I hope things there are clicking along just as you want them to!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Holly--did you find that info on their website? A lot of times they give you worst case scenario. Is there a local yahoo group you can join (like a Kansas/Missouri international adoption group?) I had joined one for Texas, and was able to find out some info of other PAPs on their processing times out of Dallas.

I hope it's not 3 months!

Kim said...

Yeah, it's 3-4 months in TN. Look at it this way, most government offices shut down from the middle of December-middle of January for holiday break anyway. Your paperwork would just be sitting there. This is how I am rationalizing not having ours turned in by December 1st.

Kim :)

Alison said...

You crack me up! It does seem like just sitting around the kitchen table day dreaming about what you will do when you hit the lottery!! We have those same thoughts! At least now you know...now you can push it to the back of your mind...and be thoroughly shocked and excited when it unexpectedly arrives earlier than anticipated!!! :)

Unknown said...

Hang in there guys ... if you think about it, three months will seem like nothing once this baby blesses the rest of your lives. Your patience will be rewarded tenfold.